Saint Augustine Bridge of Lions

Bridge of Lions

 

The city of St. Augustine was founded and established in 1565 by Don Pedro Menéndez de Avilés. And the Bridge of Lions is a bascule bridge that spans the Intracoastal Waterway of St. Augustine. They have a lot of history starting by when constructions started on 1925 and completed in 1927.

A cool fact about this bridge is that the lions were actually removed back on February 2005 and returned in March 2011.

Before the Bridge of Lions was constructed there was a wooden bridge there that was called the the bridge of Anastasia Island. The old bridge of lions broke constantly therefore its big renovation.

 

 

New Bridge of Lions

Renovation work was completed on March 17, 2010 when it reopened for use. The current bridge's west entrance features manicured gazebos, landscaped palmtrees and a new publicly accessible dock extending partially into the bay.

 

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Follow us on Google+

Picture Taken by Xffect.com

Previous                                                                                                             Next