Saint Augustine Castillo de San Marco

Castillo de San Marco

 

The city of St. Augustine was founded and established in 1565 by Don Pedro Menéndez de Avilés. And the Castillo de San Marcos is the oldest masonry fort in the continental United States

Its construction begun in 1672, 107 years after the city's founding

One important fact to mention is that Castillo de San Marcos was twice besieged: first by English colonial forces led by Carolina Colony Governor James Moore in 1702, and then by Georgia colonial Governor James Oglethorpe in 1740

 

 

Possession of the fort has changed six times, all of them peaceful, amongst four different governments, these are the Spanish Empire, the Kingdom of Great Britain, the Confederate States of America and the United States of America

In 1924, the fort was designated a National Monument. In 1933 it was transferred to the National Park Service from the War Department. In 1942, in honor of its Spanish heritage, Congress authorized renaming the fort as Castillo de San Marcos. As an historic property of the National Park Service, the National Monument was listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) on October 15, 1966. The National Park Service manages the Castillo together with Fort Matanzas National Monument. In 1975, the Castillo was designated an Historic Civil Engineering Landmark by the American Society of Civil Engineers.

Now the fort atracts millions of visitors each year and there are many plays that take place there.

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Follow us on Google+

Picture Taken by Xffect.com

Previous                                                                                                             Next